Mr. Welsh is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and the American Board of Trial advocates. The Texas Board of Legal Specialization has certified him as a specialist in both Personal Injury Trial Law and Civil Trial Law since 1981. He has served as special lead disciplinary trial counsel for the State Bar of Texas in a disbarment proceeding. He has served on the State Bar Committee on the Rules of Evidence. In the American College of Trial Lawyers, he chaired the Federal Civil Procedure Committee and co-chaired the Ad-Hoc Committee on Electronic Discovery. He formerly served as Co-Section Head of Litigation and on the Litigation Coordinating Committee at Vinson & Elkins, LLP in Houston.
He received his Bachelor of Science at Northwestern University in 1972, where he was a Clarion DeWitt Hardy Scholar, President of the Debate Society, and received the Cumnock Award and the Florsheim Award in Forensics. He is an honor graduate of the University of Texas, School of Law, where he served on the Texas Law Review Editorial Board and was a member of Order of the Coif, Board of Advocates, and Phi Delta Phi Honorary Legal Society.
Mr. Welsh is a member of the editorial board of Texas Objections by Harvey G. Brown and Judge Ken Curry. He is also the author of many law-related articles. He has lectured extensively on trial topics for the State Bar of Texas, the Houston Bar Association, Federal Bar Association, and Louisiana State University, among others. His courses have included how to try a case, how to prepare a case, jury selection, examination, cross-examination, closing argument, discovery, how to prepare a witness for deposition, how to depose a witness, how to prepare to take a deposition, business litigation, professional litigation, personal injury litigation, and damages and other remedies.
He has been selected for inclusion in every edition of Texas Super Lawyers. He has been named to The Best Lawyers in America and Texas Monthly’s top 100 attorneys in Houston.
- University of Texas School of Law, 1975
- JD with Honors
- Editorial Board, Texas Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Board of Advocates
- Phi Delta Phi Honorary Fraternity
- Keeton Fellow
- Chancellor’s Council
- Dean’s Roundtable
- Northwestern University, 1972
- Bachelor of Science
- Clarion DeWitt Hardy Scholar
- President Northwestern Debate Society
- Cumnock Award in Forensics
- Florsheim Award in Forensics
- School of Speech National Advisory Counsel
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Past Chair, Committee on Federal Civil Procedure
- Past Co-Chair, Ad Hoc Committee on Electronic Discovery
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Advocate
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Texas Law Review Association, Life Member
- Board Certification in Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certification in Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- State Bar of Texas, Section of Litigation
- State Bar of Texas, Former Member, Administration of the Rules of Evidence Committee
- State Bar of Texas, Special Disciplinary Trial Counsel
Practice of Law:
Vinson & Elkins, LLP, 1975-2003
Cunningham, Welsh, Darlow & Zook, LLP,
Welsh & Chapoton, LLP,
Welsh LeBlanc, LLP
The Welsh Law Firm, PLLC
- Texas (all state trial and appellate courts)
- United States Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
Why Choose Us
With an unwavering commitment to delivering exceptional legal representation, we are well on our way to being the best. Join us as we continue our journey towards success.
Discover the firsthand experiences of Mokaram Law Firm’s clients as they share their success stories in fighting personal injury cases.
Get In Touch!
Free legal consultation: Speak with a car accident attorney in Houston today!
Trust our car accident attorneys in Houston to fight for your rightful compensation. Contact us today for a free legal consultation with a car accident lawyer near you.